by Ed Naile

Some anonymous person sent emails to elected officials in the NH Legislature regarding student voters implying they can not register to vote in our state.

The NH AG is investigating.

While the NH AG and the Secretary of State are looking at this strange event NOW might be the time to clear things up regarding the legality of non-resident, unqualified college students claiming residency for voting here and not at home – where their legal domicile is.

The “Guare” case that had been cover for illegal student voters and campaign workers might not be the best way to defend unqualified, illegal voting in light of the recent “Opinion of the Justices Regarding Residence.”

Here is what you need to know.

1. You must manifest an intent to become a NH resident to vote in New Hampshire. Manifest: look it up.

2. You must have a legitimate address – not a college bulk mail address or PO Box.

3. A NH voter must establish a permanent presence and abide by all the laws regarding citizenship in our state.

4. The State of New Hampshire has a duty to see that only qualified registrants vote in our elections. No state allows its citizens to vote in another state.

5. It is a violation of Federal Statutes, US Code 52 10307, to lie to an election official in a Federal Election

(c) False information in registering or voting; penalties

Whoever knowingly or willfully gives false information as to his name, address or period of residence in the voting district for the purpose of establishing his eligibility to register or vote, or conspires with another individual for the purpose of encouraging his false registration to vote or illegal voting, or pays or offers to pay or accepts payment either for registration to vote or for voting shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both: Provided, however, That this provision shall be applicable only to general, special, or primary elections held solely or in part for the purpose of selecting or electing any candidate for the office of President, Vice President, presidential elector, Member of the United States Senate, Member of the United States House of Representatives, Delegate from the District of Columbia, Guam, or the Virgin Islands, or Resident Commissioner of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.

6. You might want to read pages #5-#12 of the Opinion of the Justices as to what the law is regarding residency and domicile in any NH election.

7. Voting illegally has consequences.

8. Check with your home state’s election and residency laws before you attempt to vote here and stay a citizen of another state. Example: Ct., you have 48 hours to notify Ct. DMV that you have moved to another state. Pa. Vote in another state and you lose residency in the Commonwealth.

9. NH residents as well as out of state tuition students sign a Residency form declaring their Domicile: RSA 187-A:16 Authority of the Trustees.

If anyone would like to debate the issues regarding residency and out-of-state students or campaign workers just show me where I am mistaken.